By default, all WordPress posts are set to the ‘uncategorized‘ category but do you know how to remove uncategorized category in WordPress. In one way or another, uncategorized categories negatively impact the navigation and search engine optimization (SEO) of a website.
The uncategorized category renders to nothing; it is a default WordPress category and if you don’t specify a particular post, it is displayed as uncategorized. However, the WordPress algorithm and search tool, place it in the appropriate spot for readers but this is not always the case.
Instead of being reliant on the WordPress algorithm, you must learn how to remove uncategorized category in WordPress. By following the below steps, you can permanently delete uncategorized category. Also, read How to add categories in WordPress?
Do I Need To Remove Uncategorized Category In WordPress?
Every WordPress site, whether it is based on Classic or Gutenberg editor, comes with a default ‘uncategorized‘ category. Posts are set to uncategorized when not specified by the author or site owner.
It is not mandatory to delete or remove an uncategorized category in WordPress. However, it is recommended to remove uncategorized category by replacing them with the most popular category of your site.
So, that it would be set to the ‘desirable‘ category instead of remaining uncategorized. Let’s learn how to delete an uncategorized category in WordPress.
How To Remove Uncategorized Category In WordPress?
Removing a category or removing an uncategorized category is among the simplest WordPress troubleshooting. You can easily perform this task from the WordPress dashboard itself. Read a similar post on how to hide featured images in WordPress.
Remember, you can not permanently delete uncategorized category as it is the default WordPress feature. You can replace it with another one and a new category added to WordPress by replacing uncategorized.
By doing so, you will get an option to delete uncategorized category from WordPress. Let’s see various methods for how to remove uncategorized category in WordPress.
Rename The Uncategorized Category
The best and easy solution to removing uncategorized category is to rename this default category and replace it with the new one. Just go to the categories section, select a category, rename it, and update the category. Follow the below steps for a comprehensive procedure.
- Go to the WordPress dashboard.
- Head to the categories section from the left side options.
- All your created categories appear on the right side of the screen.
- Look for Uncategorized from the numerous categories and hover the mouse over it.
- Select and click on the edit option.
- It will lead to the new page as seen in the above screenshot.
- Now, replace the uncategorized category with your desired or required category by entering the name and slug.
- Slug is the URL version of the name which utilized by search engines and crawlers.
- If required, select a parent category as it is not mandatory.
- Finally, click on the Update button at the bottom of the page to save the settings.
- Refresh the page to confirm that the uncategorized category is no longer visible in the editor.
How To Remove Uncategorized Category In WordPress Permanently?
Create A New Default Category
Another best solution to remove uncategorized category in WordPress is to create a new default category and replace it with uncategorized. For this, you first have to create a new category and later set it to the default category. To create a new default category, follow the below steps carefully.
- Step 1: Go to the WordPress dashboard and click on the categories option.
- Step 2. Fill name and slug of the category that you want to create on the empty space.
- Step 3. Select a parent category if you want to make it a subcategory, otherwise, leave it as None.
- Step 4. Add a description to the category, however, it’s not mandatory. Once all is done click on the Add New Category button.
Now, you have to make this created category the default category as discussed in subsequent steps. However, it is not necessary to create a new category, you can also set the default category to your old categories.
- Step 5. Go to the setting from the WordPress dashboard.
- Step 6. Select writing inside the settings tab.
- Step 7. In front of the default post category, select the desired category from the dropdown menu.
- Step 8. Scroll down the page and click on the Save changes button
If you forget to designate a category for a post henceforth, it will automatically fall back to the default category you just created, rather than uncategorized.
Delete Uncategorized Category Permanently
If you have followed the above steps successfully, now it is time to get rid of uncategorized category forever. Since you’ve already replaced uncategorized with the default category, you can now delete it.
- Go to the dashboard of WordPress again.
- Head to the Categories section as you have done in the first method.
- Select Uncategorized from the available categories.
- Hover the mouse over the uncategorized and click on the delete button.
- That’s it. You have permanently removed uncategorized category in WordPress.
It is all about how to remove uncategorized category in WordPress by following simple steps. By default, all the WordPress posts are stored as uncategorized category if you do not specify them.
Being default, it is almost impossible to remove this default category but by following the above guide you can easily remove uncategorized. You have to first remove uncategorized from the default category and then delete it permanently.
I hope you like this article on how to remove uncategorized category in WordPress and are able to remove uncategorized ones from WordPress. Say permanently goodbye to uncategorized and save your posts to store there.